Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Another lonely day...

Ok, picking up where I left off last time. Had a decent birthday, got another 20kg of weights to stick on my dumbells amongst other stuff which is useful. Friday I met up with Mac and his brother in Keighley as planned. Had a fun little session, I think I managed to teach them some stuff and I also progressed a bit personally. Learnt lazy turnvaults just for a laugh, haven't tried to do them in about a year, found them a lot easier this time around. Also managed a catpass armjump off a rail but it was just barely, heels practically skimming the ground on the landing. Also, didn't feel up to rule of 3ing it, sprinting at a rail and catpassing it, there's only so many times your nerves can take it. I'll return to it next time and try and improve my momentum carrying via the catpass that bit further in order to make it tidier. One good thing we have in Keighley is an excellent wall for passe muraille practice, with all heights from about 5 foot to about 12 foot available. I used the highest section to practice carrying momentum from the passe muraille into the climbup. When it worked it made the whole thing a lot quicker, when it didn't, I just got totally stuck. Something to work on haha. Oh and having found a place to actually do them, I got overgripped climbups into a catpass style movement onto the wall as one fluid movement. I'm wondering now if I could do this on the big overgripped armjump up at the Uni, would be pretty cool if I could. Anyway, it was a fun couple of hours and I look forward to being able to spend much more time with Mac and the others from Keighley in the future, lots of potential there.

On saturday my sister got married to her partner of 9 years, it was a fantastic and really happy day. Though I managed to forget about the stone arch in my garden, neatly flooring myself going down the steps under it and cutting my head open. The cut isn't too bad but the blood went all over me, hadn't appreciated just how bad head wounds bleed. Still, at least I know in case I have to treat one in the future now (the medically trained memebers of my family took care of it, no stitches needed thankfully).

The last few days were spent just conditioning at every possible opertunity, particularly taking advantage of my new heavier dumbells. Tested my 1RM for dumbell bicep curls, 20kg, 22.5kg is really close but I can't quite manage yet. I'm trying to use as many different methods as possible in my strength training and conditioning at the moment, weight training is just one of them.

Last night I decided to go quad walking, something I haven't done in a while. I set up a lovely (not!) course in my garden entirely on tarmac or stone surfaces. I did the entire thing in just my running shorts, it took 19 minutes for 3 laps. Can honestly say that was a pretty unpleasant experience, particularly the downhill and the downwards staircase. My shoulders are feeling in bad need of a massage today, I guess that shows the sort of effort put in. Also was fairly punishing on the skin of the feet, big toe mostly, good for toughening up the skin though. So yeah, much respect to Jin for what he's doing with his crawl.

Today has just been conditioning, haven't had the time to do much else. Oh and after an exam/coursework imposed break of a few weeks, I managed make it to Bingley to do my voluntary work with the Blind Assosciation again, Elsie and co. were glad to have their handsome young man back! Life goes on, in 9 days I will have completed all my exams until next January, roll on that time! I'm living a fairly lonely existance at the moment which is a shame, I miss you guys in Leeds, all of you. I miss my other friends too. But hopefully after the exams I'll see loads of everyone again. My emotional state at the moment isn't fantastic but I hope someday there'll be a happy outcome in that respect. Training keeps me reasonably occupied and focused anyway, best to try and focus on what you have at this moment in time, not what you've lost.

Ciao

1 comment:

mcquade said...

Emotional state not the greatest???
Ya big GIRL!!! HAHA - like you said, your exams will soon be over and you will have all the time in the world to train... so you better train! *eyeballs ali*

Well done with the crawling, can't say I have gone too far barefoot on a rough/hard surface before but I can imagine how sore your feet/big toes will have got! However you have done the hard part, next time you will easy do around 20 mins and you should be able to push much further!

You should have tried the cat pass arm jump again! Well assuming there was no danger if you didn't make the arm jump, you should have. with things like that if you do them once then you should be able to do them twice etc... Then do them until they feel much more natural compared to the first attempt, then the next time you are there you will have a greater confidense and your first go will feel like your third attempt last time, so you drill again and again until it becomes a rather easy thing to do!

See ya this Sat yeah?

Peace