Thursday, May 24, 2007

One by one they fall...

I'm motoring on fairly nicely training-wise at the moment. Tidying up from my last entry, I did the entire of Scott's daily bodyweight sets, added 100 assorted bicep curls and topped it off with a cold shower and a protein shake. Felt absolutley fine the next day, I was rather pleased about that. The main problem with that program is it takes far too long, particularly the situps. So I'm sticking to doing my own thing as I don't have the time for that most nights. I feel my recovery is at its best ever, useful since my ability to recover will be pushed to the max this summer. I continue to condition in some shape or form every single night.

On monday I got outside in my garden in the lovely sunshine. Spent two hours finding new movements and improving old ones. Took big steps forwards in terms of the control and silence of my landings. I'm learning to lean back and relax into precision landings, even on jumps on the edge of my range or involving larger drops (for the distance, ~10 1/2 foot across, 1 foot down, for the height ~10 foot across, 5 foot down). This leads to much nicer landings, great success! Found some new ways of moving through the cherry tree in my garden and just generally had a really good session.

Wednesday was similar to the last one, only Hollie met me a bit earlier this time having come straight from school in her uniform and got changed in the toilets in Leeds station. Your dedication is appreciated Hol! We visited the armouries and the area near the bookshop at the university and some places inbetween. It was a productive session for both of us, I applied my better precision landings, improved ambidextirity and the other things I have been working on fairly well to the enviroment of Leeds. Made a much tidier job of a new and rather large standing armjump that I just barely hung onto a few weeks ago. Bookshop area was catpass precision after catpass precision, I comfortably did all of the ones that have previously eluded me, much to my satisfaction. My takeoff technique and explosive runup are finally in tune with each other leading to much better distance. I then applied this to a new varient of an old favourite catpass precision, instead of catpassing the lower bit of the wall, I used the bit that is about 4 foot high. It took serious comittment but I was able to carry enough speed to make it eventually. Hollie ran out of energy before she could make the catpass precision she wanted but her technique is excellent, as soon as you're focused and able to commit to the movement you'll make it easily Hollie. It's great to be able to train together like this and progress together at our own levels, helping each other along the way. It's like the benefits of solo training and the benefits of training in a group with none of the drawbacks. Oh and to cap it all off, the blonde one stole my train, again. Only a 15 minute delay this time though, as funny as it is I'm getting a bit pissed off with Northern Rail screwing up so regularly lately.

Tonight I spent a fair while outside, mostly conditioning, warmed up with a bit of movement, spent ages developing and repeating many times conditioning drills for climbups before finishing off with a nice bit of quad movement. Completely annihalated my forearms and even my triceps were hit a bit by the climbup work, evidently I'm onto a winner with those exercises. I had a protein shake straight afterwards so my muscles are now busy reparing themselves. With precision landings seemingly well on the way to being sorted, climbups are now the obvious weakness to target. One by one they fall indeed.

Tomorrow I turn 17 and have my first driving lesson, a bit of a strange thought really but it will be useful in the long run once I pass my test. In an ideal world I'd celebrate with a big training fest but with my sister getting married the day afterwards and the week from hell in terms of exams after half-term, that isn't going to happen. So, instead I'm off to see the Keighley guys for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon, hopefully find some new areas, get some good training in and help them to progress.

1 comment:

mcquade said...

I explained on the comments on my blog about the daily conditioning I am doing, so there's no point repeating myself there.

Congrats on turning 17, it would be great to have someone able to drive... but I will more than likely be gone by then :( You will have to drive down and see me!

Glad to here you are getting well into the upper body stuff, it is the start of better things! You will have to start building your shoulders as well - something most neglect. Handstands are great and if you can get any sort of raise, it does wonders but any shoulder press or row movement (try putting one knee and one forearm on your sofa and the other leg on the floor whilst you lift a heavy dumbell to your chest and back - also great for your lats and rhomboids) are great for working the medial and prosterior deltoids (middle and back). I have just got full body planches back and I am loving it! Even though they are straddled - I will sort it before long :P

You will have to try crawling for a large ammount of time as well - great for your quads and upper body. Try and do 15mins non stop, my little challenge for you :)

Can't wait until the exams are over - should be great this summer!

Peace