Just realised it's been nearley a month since I updated which is pretty shoddy of me, sorry. I've had a mixed few weeks, in terms of confidence and ability I've taken big steps forwards. However, I also had a serious escalation of my back injury which thankfully is now nearley gone thanks to a program of exercises and stretching, some physio and a lot of rest. I have accomplished a fair few movements that have pushed my limits in terms of confidence and ability. However, some still elude me and I am increasingly aware that I am now moving into territory where I can no longer afford to make mistakes. I have to avoid becoming obsessed with pushing myself forward at a rapid pace because eventually my expectations will exceed my physical abilities. That said, I have walked away from a fair few movements over the past few weeks that I have judged I am not ready for. There's a thin line between faith in one's abilities and overconfidence.
I don't really wish to go into too many details about yesterday but I endeavour in future to ensure that I am properly rested before attempting such long training sessions. My judgement and accuracy were impaired yesterday by the fact I was seriously underslept. To a lesser extent, my physical abilities were also impaired. This was evident by the way that I was unable to repeat some previous achievements on the edge of my ability level and also by the way that I made far more silly little mistakes that put me at risk. I clipped a leg working on a catpass precision, it's been almost a year since the last time I clipped a leg on a catpass of any description so I was very annoyed about this. And the last time I did this, I was also very fatigued (this time as a result of overtraining) and managed to do major damage to one of my knees which took a very long time to recover from. So I was not at all happy about that. Also, my hand and foot placements were all over the place, taking off too close to obstacles, nearley missing rails on passements, stuff like that. Then there was my incredibly badly judged attempt at running jump onto a higher wall that I did a few weeks ago, didn't do my back any favours. Then there was the fact I couldn't repeat the most challenging of the standing armjumps at the playhouse, I was just physically not capable. Then there was the disasterous attempt to repeat the catpass armjump I did for the first time last weekend. First time I fell out of the armjump because the catpass wasn't getting me close enough to the wall. Second time I undershot badly and landed very awkwardly on the staircase beneath, resulting in some very sharp pain in both ankles which thankfully subsided after a few minutes. Looking back at it, my feet were way too close to the wall at takeoff and so my catpass was sending me flying up in the air rather than forwards which is what is required for that movement. I also have huge confidence issues with that movement so I need to sort that whole mess out badly. Also, I cut my shin open for the first time in ages with a poorly judged crane. Then, to cap it all off, doing a run back through Keighley on my way home, I fudged a passe muraille up a fairly high wall, got a poor grip but decided to hold on for dear life anyway, as a result, suffered possibly the worst ripped callous I've ever had. It wasn't a case of weak skin, it was a case of putting stupidly large amounts of stress on the surface of the skin through poor technique. I had some achievements as well but I don't feel like it's worth going into them when I made so many errors in the course of the same day. I'm hoping this is a lesson to myself and I'll avoid similar stuff in the future. It's also a reminder to be careful not to push too far too fast.
Sunday, May 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The line between faith in your ability and overconfidense is called judgement. It is what differentiates us from the likes of Wayne.
Your hands should be strong enough to cope with any sort of pressure you could possibly put them through, cutting is another issue however.
Sounds like you had a bad week :P
Don't let it get to your confidense.
Peace
good to hear you've achieved, but its more important that you've seen your mistakes and know to/how to avoid it in future, will give space for much more achievement and repetition. It's good to see how you think about confidence and ability, and the line, I struggle to juggle them two, but not usually on anything that would be costly. Anyway nice post, loook forward to training with you soon
Post a Comment