Today was a big day in the overall scheme of my recovery. It marked 3 weeks since I was discharged from hospital for the last time and so it meant I was allowed to run again. I did a favourite local circuit of mine, it's about 1.7 miles and has 144m of height gain (bigger than nearley any single climb on the Dalesway) which is near-continuous in the first half of the run! I was very pleased to manage it in around 15 minutes, several minutes off my normal pace but I burnt out badly near the top of the hill and was going easy on the descents. Encouraging stuff but still far below what I was doing before the accident, now the real hard work begins. It was lovely just to be out in the fields on a crisp autumn day, people who are convinced of their hatred of running are missing out, big-time.
Oh and for anyone who runs: www.mapmyrun.com, I use it to find out elevation data and distances for my runs and to come up with new routes. Very, very useful.
Tomorrow I go back to my first waterpolo training session since my injury, it's going to be tough but now is the time to get stuck into training once more. I'm so happy just to have finally reached this day, a good run, a good stretch and a big plate of pasta, chicken and home-made tomato sauce. The simple things in life can be so great.
Thursday, November 01, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment